Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Madeline Alice Spohr

Though she was just a little girl who is gone too soon, Madeline brought immense amounts of joy to people's lives. Her big blue eyes and huge smile never failed to wow me with their beauty and the gorgeous spirit behind them.

Maddie is so special to me for another reason, besides her curls and her antics and her huge personality. She literally changed my life.

I really got into reading blogs last year, and I looked around for blogs about twins. It was from Baby on Bored that I found The Spohrs Are Multiplying. Stefanie's Sadie (who has a bigger twin sister) and Heather's Maddie were both teensy and not growing. (Heather happens to have a twin brother, and she has commented here before).

There was a point last year when I knew a food science degree was not quite what I wanted. I wandered over to clinical nutrition, but I was not sold on it yet.

I read about the nutrition appointments and consultations for these small babies, and others, and it was like I was struck by lightning.

Of course
. This is what I am supposed to do.

I love love love babies and children, I love the science of nutrition, and I want to help people. When I found out that I could go to graduate school in Maternal and Child Nutrition or Maternal and Child Health or at least specialize in maternity, infancy, and childhood, I wondered "Why didn't I know this sooner??"

Maddie. Sweet, precious, brave Madeline. She was such a huge factor in guiding me to what I want to do with my life. Her story taught me so much about love and bravery, and her grin reached through the screen and tugged at my heart. I mourn for her as if I had known her in "real life." Every bit of me wishes that Maddie could come back. Every bit of me hurts with a hurt I know does not even compare to the pain felt by Maddie's family.

I only knew you on the Internet, Madeline Alice, but I will carry you with me forever. I mean that, Maddie Moo.

Heather's site is having some traffic/server issues, but I hear it is getting moved. You can go here to donate to Heather's March for Maddie team or here to read about how to donate to help with the family's expenses.

Love,
Alison

No comments: